Cleaning your home shouldn't mean filling your living space with toxic chemicals. Luckily, nature has provided us with all the ingredients we need to clean in a safe, eco-friendly way. Not only are DIY natural cleaning products better for your health and the environment, they can also save you money. Let's find out how!
The basics of natural cleaning products
Traditionally, many cleaning products have been made using harsh, chemical-laden ingredients. However, you can clean just as effectively (if not more so) using natural ingredients. Here's what you'll need for most DIY natural cleaning products:
- Vinegar: a natural disinfectant and deodorizer.
- Baking soda: great for scrubbing and whitening.
- Lemon: for a fresh scent and additional cleaning power.
- Essential oils: to add a pleasant smell and boost cleaning power.
- Castile soap: a gentle but effective cleaner.
These ingredients are not only natural and safe, but also quite cheap and readily available.
DIY natural cleaning product recipes
Now that we know what we need, let's dive into some recipes for DIY natural cleaning products.
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Lemon rind
- Rosemary sprigs
Combine the above ingredients together, pour into a spray bottle, shake, and then let infuse for a week. You now have a fantastic all-purpose cleaner that's safe to use around your home.
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 quart warm water
To clean kitchen counters, appliances, and inside the refrigerator, use baking soda and water. Baking soda is a great deodorizer and can be used to shine stainless steel sinks and appliances.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon dish soap
- 1/4 cup vinegar
This simple glass cleaner recipe will leave your mirrors and windows sparkling clean. Simply combine these ingredients and spray from a bottle.
How to use your DIY natural cleaning products
You can use these homemade natural cleaning products much like you would use their store-bought counterparts. The all-purpose cleaner is great for surfaces like countertops, stove tops, and tile. The kitchen cleaner is perfect for appliances and even inside the fridge. And of course, the glass cleaner works well on mirrors and windows.
A bonus of these DIY products is their smell. Unlike harsh chemical cleaners that can leave your home smelling like a science lab, these natural cleaners leave your home smelling fresh and clean.
The benefits of DIY natural cleaning products
There are numerous benefits to making your own cleaning products. Not only are they safe and eco-friendly, but they can also save you money. Here's a quick breakdown of the benefits:
- Healthier Home: You can significantly reduce your exposure to toxic chemicals by using natural cleaning products. This is particularly important if you have small children or pets at home.
- Environmentally Friendly: Homemade cleaning products don't contain harmful chemicals, which means they're much better for the environment. Plus, by making your own, you're cutting down on packaging waste.
- Economical: Natural cleaning ingredients are often much cheaper than commercial cleaning products. Plus, you're not paying for water, dyes, and synthetic fragrances.
Embracing a greener lifestyle doesn't have to be difficult or expensive. With these simple recipes, you can start making your own natural cleaning products today.