Are your taste buds craving an adventure? Wish you could travel around the world and savor the global flavors? What if we told you that you could do just that, right from the comfort of your own kitchen? Today, we're going to guide you on a culinary journey around the globe with 4 authentic international dishes that you can make at home. So grab your apron, let's get started!
The first stop of our journey is Italy, the land of pasta and pizza. But, Italian cuisine is much more than that, and one dish that truly embodies this cuisine's richness is the Lasagna.
This layered pasta dish is a staple in Italian households. Here's how you can bring this cheesy delight to your home kitchen:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large cooking pot, cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- To assemble, spread 1.5 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
- Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
Next, we're heading to the land of the rising sun - Japan. The iconic sushi needs no introduction. It's a popular dish worldwide, but making it at home can be a bit tricky. Here's a simplified version:
- Rinse the sushi rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Then, cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a saucepan and heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour the mixture over the cooked rice and mix well. Spread the rice on a baking sheet and let it cool down.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Spread a thin layer of rice on the nori, leaving about 1.5 cm of the nori uncovered at the bottom.
- Lay thin slices of your chosen filling (cucumber, avocado, smoked salmon...) on the rice. Roll the sushi tightly using the mat, then slice into 6-8 pieces.
Indian Chicken Curry
From the far east, we're jumping right into the spicy and flavorful world of Indian cuisine. We'll be making a simple yet delicious Chicken Curry.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
Lastly, we'll head over to Mexico, famous for its vibrant, flavorful dishes like Tacos.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, and cook until browned. Stir in the taco seasoning and water; simmer until the beef mixture has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas in the oven for a few minutes. Once heated, you can start building your tacos. Add the meat, followed by the toppings of your choice.
And there you have it! Four delicious and authentic international dishes that you can make right in your kitchen!